What is it that comes to mind when you think of our kidneys? This impressive pair of organs manages many responsibilities from removing toxicity from the blood and disposing of it via urine, moderating blood pressure as well as contributing to the manufacture of red blood cells. These are no small tasks to scoff at and it stands to reason kidney problems can actually lead to serious health complications and even death. No matter what our age, when A-1 Home Care thinks of our kidneys, one word comes to mind-important. Our expert trained home care professionals offer more than just next level companionship and top shelf personal care-they care about your kidney health. Here is a short list of some things you may or may not have known can harm our kidneys.
- Red meat-high protein diets rich in red meat can cause our kidneys to work over time. Low risk proteins may be consumed in lighter portions of eggs, fish, beans and nuts.
- Salt-too much salt has been known to bring about kidney stones which can complicate kidney function.
- Smoking-while this is an obvious detriment to one’s health, this nasty habit also helps to the cause of the two leading causes of kidney disease-high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
- Alcohol-those who consume high volumes of booze are doubling their chances of kidney disease development. Even a binging drink session can result in “acute kidney injury”.
- Soda-diet sodas in particular have been shown to raise the risk of kidney disease as well as decrease kidney function.
- Dehydration-water is essential to the function of our kidneys. Failure to maintain regular healthy hydration can lead to serious kidney damage. DRINK WATER.
- Pain Meds-the habitual use of excessive over the counter pain medication can create problems for your kidneys. Speak with your doctor about what medications you use and how much.
A-1 Home Care in Altadena specials in Kidney Disease Care and wishes to encourage good kidney health. Monitor your diet and speak with a nutritionist about kidney safe dietary guidelines. Monitor any other ongoing health conditions; these may include diabetes, high blood pressure or heart problems. Get adequate physical activity, our caring and compassionate personal care providers can assist your loved one with physical activity such as walking, stretching, meditation and more. Senior years do not need to equate to kidney problems and awareness of our kidney health can keep our organs running smoothly into our Elder years.
A-1 Home Care is State Licensed, Bonded and Insured. Established since 1991, A-1 is the leader in home care services across Southern California and for good reason-all of our care providers, home health aides and nurse’s assistants are put through a rigorous screening process. We are available 24 Hours a day and are proud to serve the areas of Pasadena, Alhambra, Arcadia and surrounding communities. Contact us today at (562) 929-8400 to learn more.